Before the invention of dental implants, the only options available to replace a lost tooth were dentures or bridges. Today, dental implants offer a solution that looks and feels like a natural tooth. They are attractive and comfortable, and they provide many advantages.If you are considering replacing a lost tooth with an implant, there are…
Seven Advantages of Dental Implants
When it comes to tooth replacement options, dental implants are the gold standard. Dental implants offer benefits that other prosthetic dental appliances simply cannot provide. Below are the top seven benefits of this proven and popular tooth replacement choice:
1. Dental implants prevent bone loss and changes in face shape.
As people lose teeth, they begin to lose bone mass in their jaw. Over time, absent teeth and an eroded jaw change the face’s shape and add years to the appearance because there is no structure to support the facial muscles and keep the skin taut. Dental implants are the only prosthetic dental device that acts as a natural tooth root, which stimulates the jawbone. When the jawbone is stimulated, it can rebuild itself naturally.
2. Dental implants look and feel natural.
Dental implants are the next best thing to natural teeth. Dental professionals design dental implants to blend in with the existing teeth and consist of three parts:
- Implant post: Inserted into the bone and underneath the gumline to secure the dental implant.
- Abutment: Connects the implant post and dental restoration.
- Restoration: Designed to look like a natural tooth or teeth, sits above the gumline and fills in the gap of the missing tooth
3. Dental implants support the health of adjacent teeth.
After tooth removal or loss, a space in the mouth exists. Consequently, the teeth on either side of the space can drift and shift positions, resulting in dental misalignment. Dental implants can fill this void, which permits people to sustain a uniformed smile.
4. Dental implants can correct your speech.
When teeth are missing, it can be challenging to communicate and for others to understand. People use their teeth to create specific sounds and speech patterns to form words. Also, dental implants are more stable than dentures and removable bridges. People with dental implants do not have to worry about slippage when speaking and laughing in social settings.
5. Dental implants allow you to eat your favorite foods again.
Gum and jaw issues are inevitable when people attempt to eat foods without teeth because the remaining teeth, gums, and jaw must work harder to chew foods thoroughly before being swallowed. Additionally, eating coarse, chewy, or crunchy foods can be challenging and impracticable without the proper bite force.
Because dentists anchor dental implants into the jaw with a strong titanium post, they restore the bite to virtually the same amount of force as natural teeth. Other dental prosthetics cannot reconstruct bite force nearly as much because they perch on top of the gums.
6. Dental implants require simple care.
Dental implants require little maintenance and do not require wearers to buy particular products to care for them. Care for dental implants like you would your natural teeth:
- Brush and floss them twice a day to remove disease and decay-causing bacteria.
- Attend professional cleanings and exams twice a year to monitor the success of dental implants and prevent the development of disease.
7. Dental implants are a long-lasting tooth loss solution.
Dental implants are a durable tooth replacement option that rarely fails, with less than 10% of dental implants failing. Below are four factors that are linked to dental implant failure:
- Poor oral hygiene
- Gum disease
- Certain medical conditions and diseases (including diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, or other conditions that impede natural healing)
Interested in Dental Implants?
At Advanced Family Dentistry, Dr. Asadi expertly places dental implants for patients who need to replace their natural teeth. Schedule a consultation for dental implants in Tucson, AZ, by calling (520) 353-3002 today.